Start a new tradition!
Why not have a "living" Christmas tree this year?
Live Christmas Trees
- Keep the tree indoors for as short a time as possible less than a week is best.
- Water twice a week while indoors. Misting the needles also helps.
- After Christmas move the tree to the garage for several days before planting.
- Plant as soon as practical after Christmas.
- Plant into non-frozen soil if possible - mulch will prevent soil from freezing.
- Water heavily at planting and once a month for the rest of the winter, unless you get heavy wet snows.
- Plant tree at same depth as the plant was originally in container and 6-8" further than the radius of container. Add compost (mix 1/3 compost to the 2/3rd of your soil. Finally add mulch around the tree.
- Always handle the tree very carefully to prevent disturbing the roots within the ball.